Is Bottled Water A Scam?
Now, being that water is one of the most important substances we can consume, we would think that this would be a good thing.
I mean, now we get a convenient way to not only carry around but also to purchase some good ole, thirst quenching water.
Well… I say that this depends on whether or not you “give a lick” about your health, your finances, and the environment.
Why do I say that?
Simply because when you look at the truth about bottled water, you will see that it is:
- Toxic to your health – An independent test performed by the Environmental Working Group revealed 38 low-level contaminants in bottled water, with each of the 10 tested brands containing an average of eight chemicals including disinfection byproducts (DBPs), caffeine, Tylenol, nitrate, industrial chemicals, arsenic, and bacteria were all detected.
- Way over priced – How many times have you paid over $5 for a 16oz bottle of glorified tap water? With the average cost being around $1.50 – $2.00.
- Destroying the very fabric that makes up our environment. – Plastic bottles are everywhere. How many have you already used today? It’s been said that 1,500 water bottles are thrown away every second. That’s ludicrous. And… about 1.5 million tons of plastic are used to manufacture water bottles each year around the world.
- An idea that has run its course and now needs to be replaced with new, real, sustainable solutions. There are many options that currently exist. It’s just a matter of education and choosing a smarter, wiser path to long term wellness.
Personally, I do my best to steer clear of buying and/or using plastic water bottles.
I know the challenges that plastic is imposing on our health and environment… And I’m not happy about what I’m seeing. In fact, it’s rather disgusting to be honest.
The idea that cheap plastic is a good medium to transport precious water for consumption has got to be one of the most ignorant ideas I’ve seen.
And it’s not just plastic for water, it’s plastic for all beverages.
Think about it… We now have plastic for everything from water, sports drinks, soda pop, beer, wine, liquor, juice, milk, and whatever else you like to drink.
I don’t know about you, but last I checked, plastic was not a natural substance to this earth. It’s a chemical composition of toxicity.
I’d start by generating some sustainable ideas that you can begin incorporating into your life immediately.
Here are a two that I do:
1) I use a 22oz. refillable water filter bottle. I take this bottle with me everywhere I go. It comes with its own water filtration and enhancement cartridge and I can easily fill it up anywhere I’m at for purified water on the go. It cost me $30 and lasts for 1 Year or 150 Gallons (Approx. 900 Refills). The replacement filter cartridge costs $20. The bottle is made of LDPE, which is BPA & Phthalate Free.
2) I use a Wellness Water Filter Carafe and fill my own bottles with water. One thing I do on occasion is save my old food jars that have lids. I clean them well and then use them in conjunction with my Wellness Carafe for water to take with me. This way I have a jar of water in which I can easily mix any powders or potions that I like to take on the go.
I’m sure you may be asking why I chose the Wellness Water Filter Brands…
Well, here’s the “Down Low” on Wellness Water Filters that factored into my decision.
Inside the Wellness Filters you will find rare Japanese stones that enhance water’s already critical role in our health and well being.
Specifically, these stones give three special benefits that no other bottled or tap water can deliver.
- Increased Hydration – Improves the body’s assimilation of food, nutrients, and vitamins and improves waste elimination
- Free Radical Protection – Reduces free radical attack on cells by introducing a mild antioxidant effect
- Cellular Health – Trace alkaline minerals stabilize the water’s pH, creating an optimal environment for cells
Micro-filter Infused with Coconut Carbon
Reduces chlorine, chloramines, Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs), Trihalomethanes (THMs), odor, taste, and heavy metals
High Gauss Magnet
Creates magnetic field which activates magnetite stone.
Increases water solubility and drops surface tension, improving hydration, nutrient assimilation and waste elimination.
Ceramic generates reduced ions, adding an antioxidant effect to the water to fight free radical damage.
Stabilizes pH and promotes an alkaline state in the body. Bakuhan is the only stone certified by the Japanese Ministry of Health as possessing natural medicinal qualities.
Japanese stone inhibits the growth of harmful bacteria and fungus, while supporting healthy bacteria.
Adds soluble silica to the water and polishes taste.
As you can see… That’s a lot of stuff that takes place in these water filters.
Now there are many other options to choose from. The point here is that you start by choosing one. And as you do, you begin to rely less and less on plastic bottled water.
Which, in my mind, is going to be looked back upon as one of the biggest scams to not only our health, but also to our finances. Not to mention the environmental disaster that is well under way.
Here’s to your hydration… Have a lovely day.
To Your Health and Well-Being,
Your Wellness Coach