To Salt or Not to Salt?
It seems everywhere I go everyone has a different opinion about salt.
In fact it’s one of the only things I hear my friends talk about when the few that actually read labels talk about what’s in that particular food. The Sodium Content.
We know that our bodies require salt… yet there seems to be a lot of misinterpretation of why or what type of salt we should be getting.
I look at salt and put it into 2 primary categories.
Table salt and Sea Salt.
As far as I’m concerned… Table salt is garbage. It is refined, processed salt that may have been bleached or treated to some degree.
In fact, when it comes to table salt…
- Anti-caking agents such as aluminum are used in the salt refining process. A consistent diet of table salt could lead to an overload of this potentially harmful heavy metal. Recent research links aluminum accumulation to Alzheimer’s Disease.
- During refining of table salt, macro- and micro-minerals, elementals, and isotopes are mostly removed, and the sodium chloride molecule is isolated from its elemental friends. When it tries standing alone, the body treats the sodium chloride molecule as a toxin, forcing it out of the cells, causing swelling and dehydration.
Those two facts alone are enough for me to say… Do away with regular table salt… It’s toxic and has heavy metals added in… GARBAGE!
Now, let’s take a quick look at Sea Salt.
- Unrefined sea salt is essential for survival.
- If properly balanced, unrefined sea salt is an effective way to keep water inside the system, helping keep bodily fluids and the pH in balance while it helps prevent the body from becoming too acidic.
- Salt is a vitally important component of bone.
- If salt levels are too low, depression, hormonal imbalances, and cancer may appear.
Sea Salt is essential for suvival… Repeat… Sea Salt is essential for survival!
Organic Sea Salt is full of trace minerals and comes complete in it’s natural complex.
We have over 72 trace minerals that are considered essential for human survival. Which means without them… You can DIE.
So back to the question… To Salt or Not to Salt?
In simple terms… To table salt… NO… To the majority of Sodium that is added to processed foods… NO…
To Organic Sea Salt with a full range of trace minerals that you add to your own fresh made foods… YES! All Day Long!
In fact… In my Wellness Way Cafe series… you will see me add Organic Sea Salt to most of the dishes… It brings out the flavors while adding essential trace minerals back into the body.
P.S. – I like to use all types of Sea Salts… From Redmonds Organic Sea Salt, Celtic Sea Salt, Hawaiin Black or Red Sea Salts… Tell me if you have found a good one so I can check it out.
Here is a Celtic Sea Salt that I like.